Dilmah Tea of the Month – Dilmah Jasmine Green
OUR TEA OF THE MONTH – Fragrant Jasmine Green Tea
A soothing and meditative fusion of bold leaf green tea with the fragrant and naturally sweet petals of night blooming jasmine. The liquor produced by this combination is mild and gentle.
Jasmine Green Tea works well with delicately flavoured dishes, steamed fish, dark chocolate. It also performs well with Chicken curry and thai dishes.
Green Tea and Jasmine Scented Steamed Prawns with Jalapeno Vinaigrette.
Green Tea and seafood are a great match. With this recipe, make sure your prawns are of good quality and keep them chilled until you need them. Prawns should be translucent when cooked.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
125ml olive oil
10ml rice vinegar
20g jalapeno chillies, finely chopped
25g garlic cloves, crushed
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 tbs finely chopped fresh coriander
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons Dilmah Exceptional Fragrant Jasmine Green Tea leaves
10 green tiger prawns, peeled leaving tail intact, deveined
50g puffed quinoa
3 teaspoons sumac
3-4 small red radishes, thinly sliced
50g mixed salad leaves
Combine the olive oil, vinegar, chilli, garlic, pepper and coriander in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Bring 3 litres of water to the boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the Fragrant Jasmine Green Tea and stir to combine. Place the prawns in a bamboo steamer over boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes or until prawns change colour and curl.
Combine the puffed quinoa and sumac in a small bowl. Drizzle half the dressing over the salad leaves and gently toss to combine. Arrange salad on serving plates with radishes and prawns. Drizzle with remaining dressing and sprinkle with quinoa. Serve immediately.
Green Tea-Jasmine Infused Blini
8 Green Tea-Jasmine blinis ( refer the recipe below)
Hot smoked salmon
½ cup crème fraîche
¼ cup cucumber, very finely diced
1 tsp very finely chopped dill
¼ cup pickled cucumber, shredded
Salt and pepper
- To make Pickled Cucumber: Steep 3 Dilmah Green Tea with Jasmine Leaves bags in 110 ml of boiling water for 2 minutes. Steep and remove bags. Stir in 1 tablespoon of raw sugar and 1 tbsp malt vinegar. Add ½ cup finely diced/shredded cucumber and allow to cool.
- To make the crème fraîche: Mix together the diced Dilmah Green Tea with Jasmine Leaves pickled cucumber and dill, with the crème fraîche and season, to taste with salt and pepper.(You can also add a small amount of the pickling juice.)
- To assemble: take one Blini and dollop/spread a small teaspoon of the crème fraîche mixture on top. Place a small amount of shredded Dilmah Green Tea with Jasmine Leaves pickled cucumber on top of crème fraîche. Then, lay a piece of salmon on the cucumber. Place a small amount of caviar on top of the salmon.
- To garnish, use a sprig of dill and some gold leaf.
- Repeat this process with the remaining Blinis, transfer to a presentation plate, and serve.
Green Tea-Jasmine Leaves Infused Blini:
70g buckwheat flour
70g plain flour
1/3 tsp baking powder
1 egg separated
1/3 tsp dried yeast
1½ tsp Dilmah Green Tea with Jasmine Leaves, ground to a very fine powder
9 tea bags of Dilmah Green Tea with Jasmine Leaves
Butter for cooking
- Boil milk and steep the tea bags until milk cools to body temperature. Remove tea bags.
- Sift flours and baking powder in a bowl. In another bowl, mix yeast with Dilmah infused milk. Next, separate egg and add yolk to milk mixture.
- Whisk milk mixture into flour until a smooth batter is formed. Cover and leave in a warm place for one hour.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks and carefully fold into batter.
- Melt butter in a pan on medium-low heat. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter into the pan and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Then, flip and cook the other side. Remove from pan and cook on a wire rack.
These are just a couple of ideas but you can come up with your own matches, it is worth the time to get a combination that will really enhance both the dish and the tea.